Click here for more information on how to seek care if you are experiencing symptoms that may be related to Coronavirus (COVID-19).
The MRMC Emergency Department provides initial treatment to patients with a broad spectrum of illnesses and injuries, some of which may be life-threatening and require immediate attention. Our competent staff treats emergency patients and provides support to family members 24 hours a day, seven days a week. MRMC holds a Level IV Trauma Center designation. Generally, a maximum of two visitors will be accommodated per patient outside of the Emergency Department waiting room.
MRMC’s Emergency Department triages patients according to the severity of the emergent condition, not necessarily by the time of arrival. Upon arrival, the patient’s condition will be evaluated to determine the severity and the extent of the condition. Due to the nature of emergencies, patients with life-threatening illness or injuries will be treated first.
You can expect to be asked about the following when you first arrive:
• Current medical condition and symptoms
• Previous medical care and medical history, including your primary physician’s information
• Current prescriptions or over-the-counter medications
• Special screenings for known public health threats
Emergency Department Director
Belma Cruz, BSN, RN
Toks Owo, MD
Referral Number: (979) 241-3319
Main Hospital Number: (979) 245-6383
As a Level IV Trauma Center, MRMC has demonstrated an ability to provide advanced trauma life support (ATLS) prior to transfer of patients to a higher level trauma center. Our care teams provide expert evaluation, stabilization, and diagnostic capabilities for injured patients.
Elements of Level IV Trauma Centers Include:
- Basic emergency department facilities to implement ATLS protocols and 24-hour laboratory coverage. Available trauma nurse(s) and physicians available upon patient arrival.
- May provide surgery and critical-care services if available.
- Has developed transfer agreements for patients requiring more comprehensive care at a higher level Trauma Center.
- Incorporates a comprehensive quality assessment program
- Involved with prevention efforts and must have an active outreach program for its referring communities.
MRMC has formed a Heart Team to provide rapid identification and treatment using a formalized process for the STEMI (ST Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction) patients. This Team will work together to assess all patients presenting with chest pain to rule out a heart attack or any life threatening cardiac symptoms within 30 minutes or less.
MRMC has developed a rapid response team to quickly identify and treat an acute stroke. Partnering with Memorial Hermann Nischer Neuroscience Institute, MRMC now has one of the most advanced neurological consultation services. Utilizing a robot, Neurologist from Memorial Hermann Medical Center can be in the patient’s room and fully assess the situation. With the collaboration of our physicians, the best treatment plans can be developed and executed.