The Medical Staff Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating all medical staff activities including but not limited to credentialing of Medical Staff and Allied Health Practitioners, scheduling of Medical Staff meetings and documenting minutes of these meetings. A working knowledge of the latest recommendations related to the Medical Staff Chapter of The Joint Commission, CMS and other State requirements is a must.
High school graduate or equivalent required, CMCS/CPCS preferred. Previous experience in credentialing or other medical staff related activity is required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Possesses excellent communication skills, both oral and written, which allows for positive and professional interaction
- Clearly interprets information being communicated.
- Uses written communication effectively.
- Able to use computer technology, including but not limited to Microsoft Office and Meditech.
- Well rounded knowledge of medical terminology, procedures, surgeries and treatments.
- Able to establish a good rapport with Physicians.
- Able to communicate, remain friendly and cooperate with all levels of staff.
Possesses the ability to perform Medical Staff Credentialing duties.
- Must get practitioners credentialed in a timely manner without allowing privileges or other credentialing requirements to expire.
- Must begin reappointment proceedings approximately 5 months prior to appointment expiration.
- Must complete reappointment or appointment requirements at least one month prior to expiration or start date.
- Assures that all licensures (State license, DEA, DPS, etc.) and other required certificates are up to date and filed in the practitioner’s credentialing file.
- Must have the minutes from each committee meeting typed and ready for the next meeting within two weeks of the meeting.
- Must take responsibility for the maintaining departmental and District compliance and accountability for reporting non-compliant activity.
- Complete tasks in a timely fashion with no room for error.
- Assist in other areas of department when workload permits.
- Work to accommodate patients, physicians and hospital staffing needs, as they relate to Medical Staff Services.
Accountable to maintain and improve own knowledge and skills
- Maintains the knowledge and competency to function in the role of Medical Staff Coordinator.
- Demonstrates a basic knowledge of job duties; asks questions to clarify misunderstandings.
- Updated job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications
Supports the district’s philosophy, goals, and objectives and maintains a safe environment
- Collaborates with hospital team members utilizing problem-solving abilities and positive interpersonal communication skills.
- Participates in community service activities.
- Provides assistance willingly and performs other duties as assigned.
- Follows the appropriate chain of command in intra and interdepartmental communications.
- Recognizes the responsibility to orient and accept new personnel to the department, i.e. new hires, reassigned staff, physicians, students and volunteers.