Under the direction of the Admission Director, Financial Counselor is responsible for
Contact and follow-up with insurance companies and patient guarantors to pre-admit and pre-certify all scheduled & Non-scheduled inpatients and outpatients. Responsible for collection, screening and securing self-pay portions prior to admissions or while in-house. Answer business office financial questions and determine patient/guarantor financial responsibility: Collect amounts owed to MCHD prior to outpatient testing, obtain satisfactory payment arrangements on unpaid amounts owed, including deductibles & co-pays. Will coordinate with the physician’s office, pre-admission representative, and the on-site State worker. Document insurance benefits, patient notifications, utilize the Recondo application and immediately follow-up with unexpected patients regarding financial counseling. Must comply with HIPPA regulations. Responsible for appeal letters for any denials. Follow directions and does any other duties as assigned by the Admissions supervisor.
-High School Graduate, some college or equivalent Preferred
-Minimum one year basic clerical and insurance experience, preferably in a medical setting
-Strong customer service skills
- Knowledge of basic office equipment and CRT keyboard. 10-key/CRT experience.
- Must possess excellent communication skills, both oral and written. (Including legible writing)
- Must know alphabet and numbers well.
- Must be able to see and hear well and sit for long periods of time
- Prefer a working knowledge of information required for insurance billing